Summer briefly arrived in London for the Easter weekend, so perfect timing for finishing my brightest. make. ever. Still a bit nervous about wearing this amount of yellow but I’m going to be brave!
I recently wore a 100% me-made outfit, and wow did that feel great. I felt so proud that I’ve finally got to the point where I no longer need to buy any clothes.. that being said, the outfit may have been 100% me-made but it was also 100% black. Black Closet Case Patterns Ebony tee, black Tilly and the Buttons Ness skirt, Black Emerald Erin Jordy bralette and Black Megan Nielsen Acacia Undies.. I told you it was 100% me-made..!
I’ve realised I wear a lot of dark colours and yet one of my favourite things I’ve ever made is a bright red patterned midi dress. It was very out of my comfort zone, and yet the risk paid off – so I’ve decided I’m going to try sewing with a more varied palette.
I recently picked up a mustard tablecloth at a nearby charity shop for £4 – what a steal. The bright colour called out to me, but frankly I wasn’t sure it would suit me.. I think if it had been brand new fabric, I wouldn’t have bought it – but if it didn’t suit me, it would probably suit one of my friends so worth giving it a go!
I had pretty limited fabric to work with, so my initial thought was a True Bias Ogden cami – possibly keeping the original tassels as fringe along the bottom.
That being said, I have plenty of Ogden camis and I can’t wear any of them to work, so they get limited use. I love wearing me-mades everyday, so I’m trying to make pieces that are work suitable whilst also something I’d wear at weekends.
I decided on the Closet Case Patterns Kalle Shirt. I’ve previously made the cropped version without adjustments, and I’ve only worn it once.. it’s not that I don’t love the style, it’s more that it’s very cropped. Plus I used some rubbish polyester material for that ‘wearable (or not so wearable) muslin’ and unsurprisingly it doesn’t feel nice to wear. I decided to give the Kalle another go, but lengthening the cropped version by 3-4 inches.
I had just about enough fabric for the Kalle but did have to piece together the yoke facing because I didn’t have enough fabric on the fold. The hidden placket is also made from two pieces – there’s a horizontal seam in the middle – but that was entirely my fault (I forgot to add the extra 3-4 inches to the placket as well as the front and back pieces).
I really took my time sewing this one up, and I think it really paid off..
There’s miles of topstitching which I think really adds to it. This included:
- The collar
- Along the placket
- Top and bottom of the back yoke
- Two lines along the cuffs
- Two lines along the hem facing
- Two lines either side of the side seams
I really think it adds something to the overall shirt, so I’m glad I bothered.
The buttons were salvaged from an old shirt which adds an extra cherry onto the guilt-free/earth friendly cake that is this shirt.
This make didn’t involved any new items – the fabric and buttons were second hand, and I already had the interfacing and thread in my stash.
I even considered buying matching yellow thread and new topstitching thread but decided against it – mostly because I couldn’t be bothered to walk to the fabric shop (!) but also because it wasn’t necessary – I like the contrast of the white.
I’m pleasantly surprised with how this shirt turned out. I wasn’t sold on the colour originally but I’m definitely coming round to it..! Adding length the Kalle definitely paid off and I’m glad I bothered with all of that topstitching!